Me and My Boys plus Lil' Miss makes Six

Me and My Boys plus Lil' Miss makes Six

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Go big or go home!

I never got around to posting the rest of C's first day of school photos.  Or sharing the story of his epic first day.  If I would have written about it that first week, it would have been a much different post.  Now in retrospect, that first day seems more like a little bump in the road than the enormous, looming tower of doom that it felt like when it actually happened. 
 
They have a behavior chart at school and everyone starts the day on green.  If you are on green at the end of the day you get a sticker working towards a trip to the treasure box.  Yellow is a warning, Red is a "we're sending a note home to Mom and Dad" kind of day.  Well, never one to fly under the radar, C was on red when I went to pick him up that first day.  That was not surprising.  What did catch me off guard was this "Um, I'm on red.  And I met the principal."  Oh, awesome.  I too got to meet the principal that day.  I thought it had to be some kind of record to be sent to the principal's office on your very first day of school ever.  Since then I've learned that hubby spent time in the principal's office in preschool!  Granted it wasn't his first day, but still.  And I've heard bits and pieces of a story that involved hubby's dad running from the principal (in first grade maybe?) because he was trying to escape from school.  The kid never had a chance!  It's in his genes. ;) 
 
How are things going now?  We are already at a place where we can look back on day one and laugh about it.  I am not naive enough to think that it was our first and last challenging moment at school.  That first week was rough, but since then, he has been on green every day except one.  He is excelling academically, making friends, and enjoying himself! 
 
It was really sad for me making the decision to send him to school instead of homeschool him for his kindergarten year.  I loved school as a child.  I was the kid who came home from school and played school.  So, homeschooling was fulfilling my desire to teach!  But, for a few different reasons, we decided an actual school environment was a better choice for C.  A week or so ago something happened and I knew we had done the right thing.  My child played school!  The same kid whose teeth I had to pull to get him to do school for me was giving us tests and making up word searches and helping us with our coloring pages.  Who is this child?  Maybe he is more like me than I thought.  (We sure hope so...considering his father's track record!) ;)  So proud of how hard he's been working at making good choices this past month!
 
And now, onto the pictures.  Only one or two are what I would consider a good, traditional first day of school shot.  But, I love them all because they are just so him. :)
 






Taking a time out from photos to catch something.





Last one taken right before we went in the building!  Is that a little bit of trepidation I see?  I think he was nervous....so uncharacteristic and so cute!

No comments: