Me and My Boys plus Lil' Miss makes Six

Me and My Boys plus Lil' Miss makes Six

Thursday, February 18, 2010

First Haircut!

When C was 15 months old we busted out the clippers and buzzed his hair off!  And we've been cutting it at home ever since.  And when I say cutting, I mean hubby cut and I held down our screaming, kicking, very unhappy little boy.  I decided that with hubby gone, it might just be time to subject someone else to share with someone else the joy that comes from cutting C's hair.  We had our coupon, we had Papa (for moral support), I had a purse filled with cookies and suckers, and my head was filled with all the possible bribes I could offer.  I was fully prepared to pay my $7, carry my hysterical child out the door with an unfinished haircut, and just buzz it off at home.  We walked in and were greeted by a very friendly woman in the middle of giving a haircut.  Deep breath.  She's nice.  She'll understand.  Then our stylist walked out from the back room.  "I'm ready for him," she said on her way to her chair.  What?  No "Hey there little guy" or "Hi buddy, you ready for your big haircut?" or "You wanna sit in the special big boy chair and wear this super cool penguin cape?"  Nope.  There were no words to set my mind (or C's) at ease.  And there was definitely no encouraging smile.  Ok, then.  Here we go.  Turns out...a little tough love was just what C needed to make his first official haircut a huge success.  I'm serious.  It could not have gone any better than it did!!  I stood back (you know, because it was going fine without me...not because I was scared to get too close).  Our stylist did not crack a smile the entire time.  And she didn't say anything except things like "Look down.  Relax your shoulders.  No, don't do that."  C was so sweet and cooperative (or scared into submission?).  His little brow was furrowed the whole time and he would look up at her with such concern on his face.  Then she'd say, "No don't look at me look down."  So, he'd put his head down but keep watching her with his eyes.  He was very suspicious.  I was nervous.  We weren't really going to make it through the entire haircut, were we?  We did!  With flying colors!  And without any bribery!  I did sneak in a few pictures.  I didn't get any closer and I turned my flash off.  Our stylist didn't seem like the type who would appreciate a crazy stage mom documenting her child's first haircut.  So, these were the best I could get while trying to remain inconspicuous. 
He did smile a few times!  He really thought it was funny when she used the blowdryer to get the loose hairs off the back of his neck.
Not sure what he thinks about his new 'do.
Spiking it up...I think he likes it.
A sucker! (And not even one of the million I had in my purse...he got to pick this one out of the salon's stash.
So proud of my big boy!!

No comments: