Last week was filled with little joys. Great weather, picnics, playgrounds, impromptu playdates with friends, zoos and aqauriums! And really good attitudes...from both C and myself. ;) It is easy as a mom to get frustrated, overwhelmed, burnt out...even when you have a partner around to share the load. I've been making a consiece effort to stay away from the 'woe is me' attitude lately. Yes my husband is away right now, yes four is a challenging age...but you know what? It's not more challenging than those sleepless newborn days or more challenging than I'm sure the teenage years will be. Such is motherhood. The challenges change as your child changes...but they will always be there. So, last week I made every effort to embrace this little boy's childhood, challenges and all. And it played out in lots of time together...fun field trips and outings and, more importantly, I did a better job cherishing our time together at home too. With every board game played, every picture colored, and every "one more book" at bedtime that I gave him...I felt good. Accomplished, fulfilled, happy. And happy mama, makes for a happy boy. I like it.
I've never really had a mantra, but I find that a voice in my head has been repeating the same phrase over and over lately. "The days are long, but they're all you get." And it makes me a little bit sad, but mostly it just makes me want to be a better mama.
1 comment:
Rachel, you are a wise woman and a great mom. P.S. I LOVE the little head poking out from the turtle.
Post a Comment