My friend Grace has been thinking about putting her daughter in gymnastics classes. She invited me to bring C along to a "trial class" to see if it was something he might be interested in doing too. I've had a few people tell me that I should put him in gymnastics. He is pretty strong...and has freakishly real muscles. I'm serious, the child has cuts on him that grown men dream of. It's a little disturbing. ;) Good balance...and of course, a TON of energy.
So, I thought, let's give it a try. A "try" is something I would've appreciated when it came to some of our previous attempts at organized activities, ahem, swimming and basketball. Right off the bat this gymnastics school scored big points with me for allowing (even suggesting) that we bring the kids in for a trial class to see if it's a good fit.
And by golly, I think gymnastics fits the child just right. I had my doubts (still do actually, it was only one class) when all I heard the day of our class was "I don't know how to do gymnastics. I don't want to go. I can't do it. Everybody will laugh at me." When did my child develop this self-consciousness? I reminded him that he didn't know how to do it because he'd never been to a class before. And that we were only going to try it once and if he didn't like it, he didn't have to go back. I also assured him that he would do great. All he had to do was listen to his teacher and he/she would help him figure it out.
I don't know what he was picturing in his head when I said 'gymnastics' but I don't think it was accurate. Because as soon as we walked in the place all doubts were erased and he could not wait to get going. He was jumping out of his skin excited. Like 'spinning in circles, running in place while singing' excited. This brought to my mind new fears...like images of him completely ignoring the instructions of his teacher and running crazy around the entire gym prompting me to kick off my shoes and go get him and drag him out of the place kicking and screaming.
Little man totally impressed me. He jumped right into the class like he belonged there. He did not miss a beat. He actually told the instructor a few times to let go of him because he could do it himself. And he wasn't lyin'. Not only did he do a great job completing all the activities, but he followed directions. He listened. The instructor was young. But, it was very clear she knew what she was doing. She treated C kindly, but definitely expected his obedience.
I think we may have found an extracurricular activity we can finally stick with.
Fingers crossed.
(Did I mention we still have lesson credits at the swim school?)
No comments:
Post a Comment