Me and My Boys plus Lil' Miss makes Six

Me and My Boys plus Lil' Miss makes Six

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas 2012

We had a really nice Christmas.  We missed being with our extended families, but I think it was a perfect way to celebrate lil' peanut's first Christmas home.  It was just us, quiet and low-key, and I felt like I was really able to soak it all in.  Watching my two boys together.  Growing up I lived far away from all my extended family, so most of our holidays were spent with just the five of us.  And I have such fond memories of Christmas mornings with my siblings.  I want that for my own kids too.  I have loved every Christmas we've had with C, of course!  (Well, except for the Christmas of 2010)  But, there is something special about siblings.  About brothers.  And it gets even more magical at Christmas time.  The magic only wore off once.  When lil' peanut decided to pick up one of C's treasured new gifts.  Oh. my. word.  But, other than that...magical. :)
 
We do stockings, then have a big Christmas morning breakfast, and then open presents.  Lil' peanut came downstairs and found his little Elmo peeking out of his stocking right away.  C actually saw it first and said in the cutest little voice.  "Oh, it looks like Elmo came out of the tv and jumped into your stocking."
 
 
Elmo and chocolate = happy boy!

 
 
C's big ticket gift was also hiding in his stocking.  This is his look of disbelief as he asks Dad, "What?!  A nintendo ds?  Are you serious?!?"  He and the hubs have had more than one conversation about a nintendo ds and C's desire for one and our lack of desire to pay over $100 for it!  So he was shocked to receive one.  Shhh!  Don't tell him it's used and hubby bought it off a coworker for $15!

He was so excited about it.

See him in the background playing on it?  There was a lot of that going on today.

And a lot of this.  That's where he hid from lil' brother to play his game in peace. :)  Next year I am seriously sticking to my guns about the one gift rule!  He was seriously done after he saw this gift.  And lil' peanut was as happy as could be toting his Elmo around the house.  They did enjoy opening the rest of the gifts (two of C's favorites were his new wii game and Batman squinkies) but nothing thrilled them like those first two that we knew they would love.  This was actually what contributed to the great Christmas meltdown of 2010.  C had asked for one thing and one thing only that year.  It was under the tree, but he was so upset that the first thing he opened wasn't the one thing he had asked for.  Yes, he was being ungrateful...but I take partial blame for it because all he wanted was that batcave!  We should have just given him that and called it a day! :)


Opening gifts together...sigh.  Love.

They got some really fun angry bird hats from Grandma and Grandpa.


We usually read the Christmas story on Christmas morning, but did it on Christmas Eve before bed this year.  I think the true meaning of Christmas is really starting to sink in for C.  Wouldn't you agree?
 
"Daddy, am I a Christian?"
"Yes."
Walking over to his little brother, putting both hands on his shoulders, and looking him straight in the eye, "Hey William, when you grow up you can become a Christian too.  Then you won't have to go to hell."
 
Mmmmkay.  Nothing gets past that one.  I do love my little realist.  And I loved our first Christmas as a family of four.


No comments: