Friday morning was Grandma's funeral. It was such a nice service. It really did feel like a celebration of life. My uncle wrote and read a fabulous account of Grandma's life. I read/cried my way through some scripture, and there was much singing and praising the Lord. I have always loved my grandparents' little church. I remember sitting in those pews every Sunday during my summer visits. Hearing "amens" and "praise the Lords" coming from all over the sanctuary. This morning was no different. It was like a collective sigh of relief was being breathed that Grandma's heart had belonged to Jesus. That she had known and embraced Christ's words, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." I have lost several loved ones, but I have yet to experience a loss that is not accompianed by the peace of knowing my loved one is in heaven. Grief is hard enough...I can only imagine how hard it is when it comes with that kind of uncertainty. It was a beautiful service.
After the service, everyone was invited to stay for a huge potluck spread. There was so much food. When my mom had asked my uncle "Everyone stays for lunch?" He replied, "Yep, everyone who comes eats. That's how we do it!" Did I mention that I love this little church? My aunt had also arranged for there to be nursery workers for those of us who had travelled from out of town. It was so nice for hubby and I to sit in the service together. Because you know if C would've been in there, hubby would've had to take him out sooner or later.
On our way to the national cemetary.
I thought he looked quite dapper in his little sweater vest.
I don't know what it is about cemeteries that makes them so much fun to play in. Oh, the innocence of a child. :)
My cousin, Timothy, and me.
I thought hubby looked pretty sharp in his dress blues.
This was right after someone asked my sister what was wrong with baby B (he was fussing) She replied that he was wet, cold, tired, cranky. Then I said, "Which one are you?" Then she looked at me like this...
See? He was tired!
So was he...
Friday night was definitely one of the highlights of the trip for me. All the cousins who were in town went out to dinner. Then we ended up back at the bar in our hotel. There were white russians and karaoke...and that's all I'm saying.
No comments:
Post a Comment