I'd say our new toy storage situation is working out quite well...
...wouldn't you?
I knew being able to put our feet up on it would make it multi-functional...but putting our feet up on it while enjoying some peace and quiet. Now that's a bonus. :) Just to clarify, this was totally his idea, he thought it was great fun, and I did not use the ottoman while he was inside of it. For those of you who don't ever read what I write and just look at the pictures (husband!) Oh, wait, he won't read that...anyway, I'm glad I can explain things so you don't get the wrong idea (ie. call child protective services on me)
We had a good day today. I'm glad. It was needed. C is at a tough age anyway, and not having Daddy here seems to have made things escalate. He is such a crack-up and we really have so much fun together. But, boy is he ever putting my patience to the test. My mom remembers my brother doing this big time around this age. And from what I gather, hubby's younger days were somewhat challenging as well. I miss being able to just say, "I need a break" and escape to the bedroom while hubby enforced the consequences for bad behavior and dealt with the hysterics. I don't like having to be the bad guy all the time. But, I know it's important to be consistent. And I really am trying my best. I hope it's good enough and these 3 months don't cause irreparable harm. I had a go at the sole caregiver thing for about a year and a half when hubby only got to see us on the weekends. I think I did alright then. I actually think C has turned out pretty great so far. He's smart, independent/adventerous, sensitive, confident, etc, etc...that's a mom talking. But, you know, there are those other traits...the ones that need to be channeled as we moms like to say. Those traits seem to be dominating my little three year old's demeanor these days. Back to the point-I'm glad we had a good day.
Yesterday C refused to take a nap. He then went down at night time with very little fuss and promptly at 8:30. This, my friends, was amazing. He had recently fallen into the unfortunate habit of not going down for his nap until around 2, then sleeping over 3 hours! You can imagine how not tired he was at 9 when I was ready for him to be in bed. He would sometimes tantrum and stall forever...not going to sleep until after 11! And like clockwork he'd be up by 7 each morning. Hence the need for a 3 hour nap later. Of course, I expected him to be up at 5 in the morning ready to go...but low and behold...he slept until 7:15. I thought that worked out so nicely that today I suggested he skip his nap. He wasn't allowed to watch any shows until naptime. And while B slept, he had movie time, I got some chores done, checked my email, and even read a little bit. I was hesitant to kick the nap because I do enjoy the quiet time. But, I think not letting him watch a show in the morning and having to wait until then might be a very nice solution for us. I was worried that he would be super cranky this evening, but he seemed fine. He was fast asleep by 8:30 again! Didn't get out of bed or make a peep at all! (This is when we cue the hallelujahs) :)
We went to the library this morning. The mean librarian was there. The one with the permanent sour look on her face who does not even acknowledge our presence when we walk in, except to look upon the two small children in disgust. Seriously woman?!? Kids not your thing? That's fine. Can't manage a "hello?" Ok. But, could you please refrain from looking at us like our sole intent is to burn all the books in your library and bulldoze the building? I don't let my kids pull books off the shelf, they don't run around crazy, we clean up the toys before we leave, and I'm always pleasant to you. Just trying to instill a love of reading in my child...thought you'd be happy.
B has an ear infection so she didn't feel the greatest today. As displayed by the blood-curdling screams that came out of her mouth anytime C even got near her. She was much more pleasant after her nap. And I even got a picture of them playing trains. I love it when they actually play together and I can just sit down and observe their little world rather than intervene in it by playing referee. I think in a few more years these two will be excellent playmates! Right now, the place just ain't big enough for both their toddler attitudes. ;) I'm off to read before bed...because it's only 9:30 folks...and C is sound asleep. (Cue singing angels, again.)
2 comments:
Yeah, Logan's been kicking his nap as well. Not consistantly - depends on me/him. If he has school the next day, etc. It is nice when they are in bed and out early!
What is C doing exactly?? I feel like such a mean mommy, too! Especially since Daddy is the "fun" parent :( Logan is just not adamant that things need to be done HIS way! And, with me spending a big chunk of my day with Brandon, some days I feel like he probably doesn't like me at all... :(
BTW - I thought it was so funny that you got this storage container because we had something similar to that in Logan's room and then went out and bought the chicken coop one you got rid of! :D
It's just that in the container, he never saw his toys. He never touched the box... so, we wanted something where he could park his big trucks/cars/etc. neatly but be able to see them and, therefore, want to play with them. You don't have that problem?
Oh... we call out chicken coop the "garage..." ;)
Post a Comment