Me and My Boys plus Lil' Miss makes Six

Me and My Boys plus Lil' Miss makes Six

Monday, January 18, 2010

It's nothing

The hubby and I said goodbye this afternoon and he is headed to Maryland.  He is going to stop at a hotel tonight and drive the rest of the way tomorrow.  I am sad, of course, but I'm doing fine.  I didn't even cry when he left.  Does that make me a crappy wife?  I assured him it wasn't because I wouldn't miss him...because I definitely will!  Maybe it's because for most of our marriage he has worked shift work...so I am quite the pro at the whole sleeping alone thing.  Maybe it's because for 18 months we only saw each other on the weekends...sometimes not even then.  Or maybe, and this is the one I think is really it, it's just not that big a deal.  I just keep thinking about how good we have it.  Three months...three little months...Maryland, desk job, safe.  For some women, their reality is a lot worse than that.  A whole year...Iraq, combat zones, dangerous.  I know I already asked you to pray for those serving our country and those they leave behind...but I'm asking you to do it again.  These men and women are just laying very heavily on my heart right now.  Especially when people say things to me like, "Oh, how horrible.  You're very brave.  I'll be praying for you."  I have to bite my tongue to keep from telling them not to waste their prayers on us.  Tonight I just responded with, "we'll be fine...there are people that go a lot longer without seeing their loved ones."  Yes, I'm sad.  Yes, I miss him...already.  Yes, I hate that our family has to be apart.  But, really?  Three months is nothing.

No comments: